As I have mentioned in some of my previous posts, since September I have been a member of Slimming World, following their fabulous eating plan and going to weekly meetings/weigh-ins for motivation and support. I’ve found the whole experience fascinating, and the weight loss has given me a lot more confidence.
One thing that the plan stresses in a big way is eating real food. Not shakes or sachets, or even ready-made stuff delivered to your door, but food that you buy ingredients for and cook yourself. Their magazine is always full of fabulous recipes, and when one of the winter issues came with a free ‘comfort foods’ booklet, the blueberry muffin recipe caught my eye. Low in Slimming World ‘syn’ points and delicious (even to non-dieters), they are also really easy to make!
Makes six. Syns per serving – 3.5. Weight Watchers Pro Points per serving – 2 (according to my Dad’s calculations!).
You will need:
- 198g fresh blueberries
- 28g Kellogg’s All-Bran, roughly crushed (just put it in a freezer bag and whack it with a pan! Works a treat!)
- 2 tbsp artificial sweetener
- 57ml freshly squeezed orange juice
- 57g self-raising flour
- 2 level tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
What to do:
- Preheat your oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.
- Place the blueberries, All-Bran, sweetener and orange juice in a bowl and mix together.
- Sift in the flour, baking powder and spices, then add the eggs. Mix together until well combined.
- Line six muffin tins with paper cases (I didn’t have any cases big enough, so just used squares of non-stick baking paper – worked just as well!) and spoon in the mixture.
- Place in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes until risen and firm to the touch.
It really is that simple! Here’s what my recent batch turned out like:
Let me know how they turn out if you try them!